Thursday, March 13, 2014

The First Few Days in School

Well based on orientation, it was safe to assume I was terrified to enter the schools. My entire orientation was in Spanish. Way to 'disorient' me. I understood about 40% and even less about what my role and duties would be in the school. These kind of things are fairly unorganized, which I fully expected, however I was still apprehensive that I wasn't prepared enough (if there is such a thing as being prepared enough).
I walk to school in a group with other volunteers at 7:00 in the morning to be there by 7:30. I get home around 12:00 and have the rest of the day to myself.(The walk at 7am isn't bad but at 12pm, with the heat forcing itself upon you, it's quite a different story.)
I am working in a first grade classroom primarily and, when needed, helping out in the preschool. The way children learn here is very eye opening to me. The teaching consists of the teacher writing certain phrases, words, numbers and/or  letters on the board and the students copy them down in their notebooks about 20 times. That is it. My role as a volunteer is to go around and help them with their work and to provide positive reinforcement. I make sure the kids know what they should be doing and help them to figure out how to sound out words and physically write letters with their hand in mine. Sadly, the majority of them cannot even write their names correctly. Granted they are only 5 and 6 years old, but these children have far less resources than anything I was used to. And the same goes for the teachers. Luckily they have a nice whiteboard up front, on which all work is presented, but, for example, there are no books in the classroom. Can you imagine any classroom without a single book?? Unfortunately, most of these children are not read to and will it be hard-pressed for them to ever learn the importance and benefits of reading.

"Lunch" is served at 8:30 and typically consists of rice and beans and a another varying side item. Varying parents make and bring the lunch each day. My first day I thought it was bizarre that they ate lunch so early but another volunteer explained to me it is because, for some of them, it is their first meal they've had that day. Each child has to bring their own plates, cups, and silverware with them and if they don't, they don't get to eat.
We work for about another 30 minutes and then it is time for a 30 minute recess. Every day I survive another recess is a victory for me. These children are WILD (both on the playground and in the classroom). They play so rough I am surprised they don't get hurt more often. My first day I started playing Frisbee with some of the boys and after a while decided I was too hot and old for that and tried to walk away but it was impossible. Plus most of the kids will asked to be held (actually, they don't really ask, they just jump on you) so while I'm holding one, others will be pulling on me and climbing on me as well. And I literally need to watch my back. Every time I sit down outside I should expect that some little one will be running and jumping onto my back and head (you have to learn to expect it so you don't get choked haha). Just yesterday I had 4 or 5 boys pulling on me and one knocked me right down into the dirt and cut my knee. These kids don't mess around.

Another big part of my job is to provide attention, affection and positive support and reinforcement as these children may not otherwise get that at home. A lot them need reassuring that they are doing a good job which then further encourages them to keep trying. That is a crucial part of my role. And seeing as how my Spanish is not quite up to par yet, I work extra hard in this area as I think positivity, encouragement and support can be interpreted no matter the language.


On another note, my bug bite count is at 20. (Which really isn't that bad considering how many bugs there are.) Plus I've pretty much confirmed that my first 5 bites were bed-bug bites from the old house and bed I slept in and I am happy to report they are now going away.

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing. These kids think this is how the entire world is, just like the children here. I always look forward to hearing of your "adventures" in that part of the world. Maybe you should think about being a writer...

    ReplyDelete